Thursday, June 17, 2010

Craigslist Buffet!

Some of you may recall pictures of my dining room before. I was just in the process of painting my dining room table black when my surgery came up. Well to be honest it still needs another coat and I haven't done anything with the chairs. I don't really want it all to match. I found some at a little shop that specializes in refurbishing garage sale and flea market finds. I am hopping they didn't sell or they have other ones that would add an eclectic feel. So, as I try to finish up other areas in the room I've been wondering if my fabulous Craigslist buffet should be something other than glossy white!

The dining room is in the front of the house and I love the natural light I get from my window. I found the curtains on Craigslist for about $75.00 still in their original package. The set was originally $150.00. I thought since it was the dining room and cocktails would be served I thought getting wooden letters and spelling CHEERS would be festive! I tend to decorate a lot with letters.

The container on the table was from the goodwill for a couple of bucks. Guess where it is really from? Home Goods! Everyone always talks about that store and now I can say I have a piece from there! The big sphere thing on the buffet is from TJ Maxx. I've seen it in the Pottery Barn magazine before. Hmm, great minds think alike!



Here is my little bar! I found this cart at an consignment store for $40.00. The three bottles are fun! One for Gin, Vodka and Scotch! I put some corks in one of them. The wine bottle a friend made with lights!



So what do you think of my zebra shoe wine holder? It's holding my Mad Housewife wine! Is that what I am?



I'm sure you've all seen the Sid Dickens ceramic art blocks.
Well don't gasp, these are not them! I don't own a single one! I would love to but at $75.00 dollars a pop, I just can't justify it. Especially not when I got all of these from Hobby Lobby for $1.99 - $5.00 a piece. Some were a little worse for wear so I took some paint and did a little touch up!

And then there is "Red", my friendly painted door. I love her! I found her at a little salvage shop. I get a kick out of the fact that my husband still jumps when he walks by her. My goodness, she's been living here for 3 years, and she isn't going anywhere. Well, except when I get the urge to walk her around the house, now quit it! You might remember her as my header on my blog before!



This is another shot of my buffet! I love the size, shape and the legs! It has great storage for platters, napkins and candles. I just don't know if the white is too blinding in this room. The lamp shade was a fabulous steal at Anthropologie! And when I say steal, there was no where to conceal that sucker, lol, so I paid $40.00 for it and had it shipped here from California!
I am a lamp snob so my motto is, "You can never have too many lamps!"



Any ideas on this piece or just leave it?



These three pictures I got at a garage sale years ago and then found some frames. They are sketches of Michigan Boulevard (prior to the Great Chicago Fire of 1871, the street was officially known as Michigan Boulevard), the Deux Lions Hotel in Paris and the Stock Exchange maybe in New York, not sure. I have a fourth one of a street in Paris but since I like to work in threes, I put that in the entryway!



So who's ready for a cocktail? It's noon somewhere!

20 comments:

Leah said...

I can't believe all the fantastic and thrifty finds you have here! Great job! Maybe you could paint the dresser a fun matalic paint? It would be so fun and glamorous!

Debbiedoos said...

I will take a Mimosa...or a bloody mary thank you very much! Your DR looks awesome, love the deep rich color. Hey and I love the new look around here, totally my style! Thanks for your feedback on my post...will be ending the segment later today:) Debbie

Annie said...

I love it! I think the white looks good. I am with Leah though if you painted it a funky metallic and then put a darker glaze on it - wowsers it'd be sweet!

Dharma said...

Thirding that notion....had you thought of gold? It's the new black....tee hee. Then just rub down and antique with stain to tone it down. I'm sure all your DIYers would have some tips if you haven't already done this :) You're a thrifty gal....we should shop. After the purple haze wears off.

Diana Mieczan said...

OMG...I adore your place...I adore the white but I think the girls are so right:)
That lamp is so cool and I love all your stuff:)
Great great great space, darling:)
Happy Thursday

Janna said...

Love your house and that you mix furniture colors. I'm just getting confident enough to do that. I grew up in a house of matching bedroom and dining sets. BORING!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

You found some awesome finds....I need to go on Craigs list....just have never really checked it out....I totally mix colors and looks....Totally....

FairfieldHouse said...

Meg,

I just spent a good part of the evening getting caught up on my reading. Your Craigs List finds are fantastic. Have you considered leaving it white and painting a black pattern (your zebra print perhaps) or words on sideboard? I love the gin, vodka and scotch bottles with the exception of them being empty of course.
I was so sorry to read about the ordeal with your leg but happy it is healing.

Your Friend,
Deborah

Unknown said...

you really lucked out! i'm actually trying to sell some furniture on Craigslist right now...wish me luck!
xox alison

Raina Cox said...

Hello and thanks so much for stopping by La Lamp Shade!

Best,

Raina
If the Lamp Shade Fits

jules @ The Diversion Project said...

that's so cool, great score! jx

Annah said...

Well hello to beautiful interior decor! I love that wall color very much. Vibrant :)

Anonymous said...

Oh Megan, I'm so glad you showed us your fun dining room. I love seeing Red in your home. Didn't know she was actually a piece of your world. This was just so fun to have a little window into who you are and what your style is. Let me say I love it. I featured my dining room awhile back and although I can say I love my dining room and I'm happy with the funky piece I painted for it this spring, I am really liking some of your edgier touches. You have pushed my envelope a bit and I think I needed it.
Hugs and hope you are feeling better every day.
Pam

Val said...

I'am so in love with your home. It's so cheerful...Great music choice!

Mary Ann said...

gotta love that lady who startles your husband! hope you are doing well, my dear. thanks for your sweet comments. i am taking some time off but can't stay away from this laptop. hope you are back to full recovery. have a wonderful weekend! verbena cottage

Unknown said...

You are so fun! I love your sideboard, and am wishing I could find one for cheap, myself. WHAT a challenge. I like your wooden chairs contrasting with your dramatic colors, too.

Hood Canal Gal said...

Gotta love those thrifty finds!
Hope you're foot's healing up well!

Annie said...

OK - I'm back. i totally think you could pull off the orange. it's called Monarch from Walmart - check out a paint chip and see :)

Brassy Apple said...

Hello! thanks for stopping by my blog and your enthusiastic comment about my fabric wall art!

love your pics of your house and your creativity! *it must come with the name (wink, wink)*

nice to "meet" you!

Object of Maya*ffection said...

Maybe age it....some glaze? I read metallic paint in anaother comment, that sounds FAB!

No Phone Call Is Worth It!

MomsMsg.com