Wednesday, July 28, 2010

My Fear of Flying, It's True!



Yes it's true, I have fear, dread, horror, panic, terror, and trepidation when it comes to flying! In fact I'm kind of a freak! I know I'm not the only one out there that hates flying but I might win the prize for the most anxiety a person can have when flying! Oh, and to top that off I have to deal with a 6 year old that has some of the same anxieties as I do. Claire and I are flying this Friday to California to visit my sister and my niece Vivienne. They say that the more you fly, the more you are use to it. Well that may be true for others, but I'm not sure that would be the case for me. I am quite claustrophobic, so sitting up there breathing everyone else's air is seriously going to kill me. I'm hoping I can get some Xanax for the two of us, ok maybe just for me and some Benadryl for her!

I have only flown a handful of times in my life and I'll say it's worse when you have kids that are freaks flying with you. James won't be on the plane with us which is a good thing because some of you might remember what a hypochondriac he is. The last time I flew with both kids alone was when my sister got married 3 years ago. The whole time Claire cried about her ears and James checked every bump and spot on him and thought for sure he had been bitten by a brown recluse spider. James is so happy he is not flying that he has now taken it upon himself to tell Claire how awful and painful it will be and that her eardrums may pop while up there. Great, thanks James!



I wonder if meeting the pilots would help our anxiety or hinder it. I have always had good instincts when reading people and maybe I would find something wrong with the pilot and demand to get off or worse, have him thrown off! You all know how not quiet I am, so I'm sure I'd let everyone around me know my thoughts. Oh hell, I am for sure going to have a drink when I get on there. I don't see any other way around this. Can you mix alcohol and Xanax together?

I know what you are all thinking, my children are freaks because I am! Yes, you are probably right about this! Ok, breathe Megan breathe!

Ok, what if when and if I meet the pilot I see him texting? You know my feelings on texting and driving are very strong, so I'm pretty sure I'm even more concerned with texting and flying, wouldn't you all agree?



I'm sure with all my luck, this will be our plane! I think I'll drape myself in rosaries and start praying now!

16 comments:

Mandi@TidbitsfromtheTremaynes said...

I have flown a beellion times in my life, and I used to make fun of people who were afraid to fly. Well, since I've had kids I have the ultimate panic attack when flying. I cannot stand the thought of my kids getting hurt or me dying and leaving my kids behind. It's ridiculous, but there it is. I can't stop the panic.

middle child said...

Don't worry about the flight. It would be good to meet the pilot to see just how drunk he is. That way you can figure out how much YOU should drink.

Diana Mieczan said...

Ohhh sweetie...I dont have that fear but I can imagine how it must feel...I think if you just try not to think about what might go wrong then you will be fine...How about taking a book or watching a movie on board? That might help:) I will keep my fingers crossed:) Promise!!!


Kisses

Jennifer Juniper said...

Sending you non texting wishes for your trip! Love your funky new background - I've been so busy I haven't made any of my blog rounds lately!

Dharma said...

vodka....not coffee, for you and Claire (put hers in a Slurpee)

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

I always feel so sorry for those that have flying anxiety....Its my preferred way to travel and I never give it a thought....but I have sat by some very fearful people and I know that cannot be fun

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

You'll do just fine! Order some cocktails. ;) I have being all squished in those seats....

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

I hope you got a chance to see the opening scene of 'French Kiss' with Meg Ryan. One of the best scenes in a movie EVER!!! : )
I hope all goes well for your and your Claire. BTW, those pics of her that you shared around her birthday were absolutely adorable. : )

Tayebug said...

Make sure you have ear plugs for Claire. If I don't plug my ears during take off and landing, my ears will hurt for days!! As long as they're plugged, I am fine. DON'T FORGET!!

Anonymous said...

Ah hon, I can so relate. I don't think my kids were afraid and I never was either until I HAD kids. How bad is this? I was better if they were flying with me because I was so sure that if something happened to me that there wasn't a soul alive that could take care of them like I would. How bad is that? A mother that just wants her kids to die with her???

BTW, you need to listen to the words of the song tht plays on your blog. Kind of approprioate. :)

Blogs said...

u'll be fine...i fly all the time:) it's a pain but once you land ur like pheww.....chew gum and have water handy. I always get nauseas on the landing!

Kissy Lovestuff said...

my picture is in the dictionary under 'claustrophobic' which sounds kinda funny but really isn't in real life. i love flying but i can no longer do so because my claustrophobia has gotten worse as i get older and i have myself convinced that even drugs won't help. i think it's awesome that you're flying anyway despite your trepidations. yay you!

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

As a flying scardy cat I vote for not meeting the pilot, I would freak out more if I didn't like him or her. Don't forget to chew your gum like crazy for take off.
Have fun on your trip!
Londen
xo

Debbiedoos said...

Megan I share this same exact fear....it is horrible. I never was like this until 9/11...and although I feel it to be safe, I can't help but think of all those poor peoples terror...and that is what fears me. I am sure it was great, hope you are are having fun.

Val said...

I'am the worst flyer!! I can't take it. The panic attacks, The white knuckles. The fear my body goes through with the slightest movement. My family laughs everytime because, I react the same way. I never think I'm going to come out alive. The worst part is, I fly a lot. lol

Hollie Joy In The Morning said...

Oh I'm there with you...thanks for sharing! I have no idea how I'm going to cope in September when I fly for the first time in a decade...I'm stocking up on meds, though!=)
Blessings on your trip,
Hollie=)

No Phone Call Is Worth It!

MomsMsg.com